[postgis-devel] Postgis issue suggestions for OSGeo sprint?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 08:06:18 PST 2011

On 08/03/11 18:07, Jeff Adams wrote:

> Let me be a little more specific.  I was browsing the trac tickets and
> noticed there are several old (1-2 years) ones around shp2pgsql. Like these:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/67
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/110
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/123
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/229
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/357
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/358
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/393
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/398
>
> Does shp2pgsql just not get a lot of love?  Or is there a high level
> plan or architectural reason not to do these tickets?  It seems like the
> kind of thing I could sit down with and knock out a few patches next week.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The main reason for a lot of these tickets not getting any attention
were that the original versions of shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp suffered from
poor code quality, with lots of subtle differences between its internal
parsers and the standard PostGIS ones. Hence it made more sense to
rewrite the majority of the code before adding in extra features like these.

As of 1.5/trunk, these beloved utilities got the care and attention they
needed with a major rewrite from the ground up and so it is probably
worth reviewing some of these tickets again during the sprint. There is
also some low-hanging fruit with regard to exposing some of the extra
features via the GUI, improving various parts of the trunk GUI code and
even creating a combined GUI incorporating pgsql2shp functionality too.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk