[postgis-devel] Postgis issue suggestions for OSGeo sprint?

Jeff Adams jadams at azavea.com
Thu Mar 10 10:37:24 PST 2011

Cool, I think I'll take a whack at some of them.  For some reason the idea
of closing the oldest ticket in the system appeals to my tidy nature ;-).

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:

> I think a lot of these are actionable now, either in 1.5 or 2.0. And
> as Mark says, there is also a big feature possibility out there in a
> GUI dumper.

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
> <mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 08/03/11 18:07, Jeff Adams wrote:
> >
> >> Let me be a little more specific.  I was browsing the trac tickets and
> >> noticed there are several old (1-2 years) ones around shp2pgsql. Like
> >> these:
> >>
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/67
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/110
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/123
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/229
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/357
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/358
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/393
> >> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/398
> >>
> >> Does shp2pgsql just not get a lot of love?  Or is there a high level
> >> plan or architectural reason not to do these tickets?  It seems like the
> >> kind of thing I could sit down with and knock out a few patches next
> week.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jeff
> >
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > The main reason for a lot of these tickets not getting any attention were
> > that the original versions of shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp suffered from poor
> > code quality, with lots of subtle differences between its internal
> parsers
> > and the standard PostGIS ones. Hence it made more sense to rewrite the
> > majority of the code before adding in extra features like these.
> >
> > As of 1.5/trunk, these beloved utilities got the care and attention they
> > needed with a major rewrite from the ground up and so it is probably
> worth
> > reviewing some of these tickets again during the sprint. There is also
> some
> > low-hanging fruit with regard to exposing some of the extra features via
> the
> > GUI, improving various parts of the trunk GUI code and even creating a
> > combined GUI incorporating pgsql2shp functionality too.
> >

> > HTH,
> >
> > Mark.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Cave-Ayland - Senior Technical Architect
> > PostgreSQL - PostGIS
> > Sirius Corporation plc - control through freedom
> > http://www.siriusit.co.uk
> > t: +44 870 608 0063
> >
> > Sirius Labs: http://www.siriusit.co.uk/labs

Jeff Adams

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
jadams at azavea.com  | T 215.701.7717  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter
@azavea<http://twitter.com/azavea>