[postgis-devel] Bborie Park as a committer

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu May 5 22:49:38 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 07:35:22PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out what makes it special.  Just when I got used
> to SVN, it's time to git going.

SVN is a centralized system. All history is on the "server".
You need the "server" keys to use all the services of that system
(versioning, branching).

GIT is a distributed system. Each one can clone a repository, which
includes full history and create branches locally, and share the
branches with others. Developers can push their own changes to other
branches they have access to, including but not exclusively, the "official"
branches. Each one can pull changes from an arbitrary node of the network,
not necessarely involving the "central" place.

Sharing a git branch (own development) is as easy as making a git repository
reachable from a web server. Or you can use one of the different "forgeries"
doing that for you.