[postgis-devel] Speaking of openness and formality - finish vote on Bborie Park as a committer

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 13 13:17:49 PDT 2011

Pierre,
>> So one last formality remains before we can give Bborie commit rights -
>> which actually all current committers have to retroactively agree to.
>>
>> Can all folks listed on the bottom of this:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/DevWikiComitGuidelines
>>
>> Including Bborie -- confirm they agree with these guidelines?

> I read the guidelines and agree with them. This document is very well
written and I'm glad such a document exist (even if it does since only 3
weeks!).

> I have some questions/comments though:
It's always good we can count on Pierre to have questions /comments and lots
of suggestions :)

> -It would be nice to have the "SVN Commit Practice numbered" (so we can
refer to them) and listed in order of importance (and/or maybe grouped into
sections like "To do when Commiting", "Branches", "Restriction on Commits",
"Broken Build").
Good idea -- Hmm though that would mean I would have to have everyone
reagree to the terms or do we not have to be that formal since the general
content will not have changed?

> -Only PSC people, on the agreement of other PSC people, should be allowed
to modify this document.
You mean enforce in some way or just note it in the document.

> The sentence "Once a new feature ticket is completed, it should have in
keywords section of ticket with history. " is not clear for me. What does
that mean?
Strk and I had a long discussion about this.  Our compromise was put keyword
"history" in newsworthy items.  The purpose is so that when we make news
announcement we don't forget an important item.  So we can run a query like
this to see what we need to put in NEWS

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/query?milestone=PostGIS+2.0.0&keywords=~histor
y&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=type&col=status&col=pr
iority&col=milestone

> There has been a large number of tickets fixed for PostGIS raster.
>  Should we add them all in the NEWS document?
NO.  Raster has no errors :) Just like topology has no errors.  Both are new
features so those errors are just interim enhancements.

The rule is new features have no bugs until they are no longer new features.

> For PostGIS 2.1  then you would have to document fixes.  If you just put a
history in keywords of trac, that's sufficient since we'll query the history
items before release to make sure we got everything newsworthy.

> In any other document? Can we just write a little text describing PostGIS
raster and list the contributors?
It will be part of the NEWS release for 2.0, but feel free to edit that now
if you want.  The NEWS in svn and repeated in the release notes of the
documentation.

Thanks,
Regina