[postgis-devel] Astyle Bot

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri May 13 23:52:49 PDT 2011

Hallo

----- Original message -----
> I'm not sure if this is the 4th or 5th time this has come up...

sorry
I must have missed 2 or 3 of them.

> This causes future commits to potentially fail, and there is NO WAY to
> update your client because it thinks that everything is happily the same
> updated version as is in the repo.

Ok I see th problem.

> We could do an automatic process to go in after an update and checkout
> any changed files, restyle them, and commit them, but then our SVN
> history is full of "restyle" commits. This causes confusion when looking
> for "who/what broke the build?" and generally just seems messy to me...
> comparably messy to just having an irregularly styled codebase.

i am not sure I agree here. according to our style guidelines:
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/STYLE
we are supposed to do the style-committ separerately anyway.
But I agree that it would be messy to do it after each commit.

Maybe a middleway would be to run it once a week automatically with a fixed easy to see message. i don't think that commit will mess up the timeline too much and the code will not be too messed up in one week if we try to keep the style manually.

/nicklas