[postgis-devel] Commit gudelines agreement

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon May 16 05:57:22 PDT 2011

On 16/05/11 11:37, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Olivier,
>
> I was thinking that was a bit harsh too when I read it.
>
> Does anyone have issue if I remove that line from the guidelines?
> If not I will remove it since it only takes away obligations rather than
> adding new ones.

I don't think that was the intention based upon the way it was worded. I
must admit when I read Olivier's comment I was a little bit shocked
until I read the paragraph in its entireity:

"The new committer should also be prepared to support any new feature or
changes that he/she commits to the PostGIS source tree in future
releases, or to find someone to which to delegate responsibility for
them if he/she stops being available to support the portions of code
that he/she is responsible for."

I can see that this is to stop cases where a company may sponsor a new
piece of code, get it committed, and then disappear leaving everyone
else to support it. Perhaps re-word it to "any *major* new feature or
changes"?

I also noticed this:

"If new files or library dependencies are added, then the configure.in,
Makefile.in and related documentations should be kept up to date."

I would much rather have it that any dependency changes should be
discussed on the development list beforehand as I can see that this can
cause issues for some platforms, e.g. Windows where not all libraries
may be available.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS