[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] how to keep geometry_columns in sync wit tables and views (and new PostGIS 2.0 plans)

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu May 19 10:26:41 PDT 2011

Populate_Geometry_Columns is a function introduced in PostGIS 1.4. So yes
you are right the probe_geometry_columns is a lighter weight that doesn't
look at views and just looks at the constraints of tables.

Speaking of this.  In PostGIS 2.0, the plan is to use typmod support for
geometry (like what we currently have for geography)  as well and make
geometry_columns a view instead of a table as it is now

There are a couple of issues with this:
1) Existing data does not use typmod so there is a portability question of
if people want to use the new geometry_columns should they be forced to
convert their data to typmod.
(I say no).

2) Exotic uses of geometry_columns that inspecting the system catalogs will
not handle (e.g. views and other reasons for manual registration)

Anyrate the thread is outlined here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/944

I think the typmod is a done deal -- we are all in agreement we want this.
What is not a done deal is how best to formulate geometry_columns view.

I proposed a hybrid -- where part of the geometry_columns view reads from
the system catalog and the other part reads from a static table (basically
old geometry_columns table would be renamed and populate and so forth would
be changed to add to this table).

Anyway I admit the hybrid is less than pretty, but the alternatives look
even more ugly to me from a migration standpoint and supporting more exotic
uses.

We'd be interested in hearing how people feel about these approaches and any
other ideas as to how we can fuse the old with the new.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us

  _____