[postgis-devel] I want boxes

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 8 12:19:03 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 10:49:00AM -0800, Chris Hodgson wrote:

> >>If I'm right, perhaps a non-agreggate st_extent() function is in order, because that doesn't seem like such a weird thing to do yet requires a lot of function calls to do efficiently.
> >
> >Note that ST_Extent drops dimensionality and SRID.
>
> True. I suppose what you are doing is unusual enough that we don't
> care if the right way to do it is a little esoteric. It just makes
> me wonder when a core developer has to ask on the list if they are
> doing something so relatively simple, correctly.

Well, I actually belive what I'm doing is pretty common: maintain
an envelope and growing it with the partecipation of new geometries.
It _can_ be done, only it sounds more complex once you want to avoid
using the good old "box2d" type. As the subject suggest this was more
about sharing a use case for a "box" type.