[postgis-devel] ST_Union specification questions

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Nov 21 16:16:36 PST 2011

Bryce,

We'll make sure to note it with a warning notice.  There are also
workarounds for lower versions of postgreSQL which aren't too bad.
Like example we show here:
http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/ST_MakeLine.html

We can document that too.  As it stands 8.4 is the only PostgreSQL in
PostGIS 2.0 we are supporting where an ordered aggregate would be an issue.
I don't think we should enforce too much constraint until possibly 2.1 if we
see alot of people are shooting themselves in the foot.

I think for PostGIS 2.0 we want to get out something useful and relatively
easy to use which won't be perfect (time is running out since December is
just around the corner and feature freeze time)
I think we've got a lot of stuff already that people can use and are already
using and that's fantastic. We can use 2.0 release to learn from people how
they are using it to see what needs to be changed / reworked what they find
awkward to write etc.

Thanks,
Regina

  _____