[postgis-devel] About BOXES

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Nov 25 10:52:36 PST 2011

Yeah, I see that now. The only highly backward compatible solution is
to leave all those types in place, with minimal support functions and
casts into the "new better" box, and warnings on instantiation to try
and drive folks away from them.

So, BBOX will come into being, it will have an SRID, and some support
functions, and casts for all the other types that I understand (I
don't understand topogeometry yet). The old boxes will still exist.

Backward compatiblity issue: what does ST_Extent() return? The problem
is if people are parsing the output, they expect whatever it returns
to have a text representation of 'BOX()' (the old box2d
representation).

P.