[postgis-devel] GBOXF

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 04:03:23 PST 2011

On 30/11/11 11:51, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> What I mean is that whenever you use GROUP BY you must know you
> are grouping by bounding box equality and for that, it is well
> known that two very different geometries can have the very
> same bounding box. Seems unrelated to double precision vs. single
> precision to me.

Oh I appreciate that this exposes a limitation of GROUP BY for some use
cases, but this behaviour is documented and predictable. By accepting
double precision coordinates for the geometries, we are creating with
the user that they will expect calculation to be done at similar
precision. Therefore by rounding these values without the user's
knowledge, we are breaking this contract and violating the principle of
least surprise.

Actually while you mention it, I can also see how GROUP BY could be an
issue with points in the same way as two points very close together
could potentially be considered as one.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS