[postgis-devel] Motion: vote for considering SRID <= 0 as "unknown"

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 4 08:27:13 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 10:17:49AM -0500, Howard Butler wrote:

> Major versions are not an excuse to make your user base start over.

I'd have to agree on this one. Altought I think a screening of actual
uses is important. The fact that scanning source code is not possible
with proprietary software is really far from my concerns. They'll have
to invest more if they want to support the spatial database everyone
want >:)

> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/pg/ogrpglayer.cpp#L1602

As for freesoftware code, I'd like to get an agreement about direction
fot the "unknown SRID semantic" so to at least start helping client code
to adapt to a possible (immediate or future) change in SRID interpretation.
My proposal for SRID <= 0 would help the gdal case above:

- if (nSRSId != -1)
+ if (nSRSId > 0)

Beside, that code seems to be WKB encoding.
If we meet a WKB with a literal SRID=0 nothing extremely bad will happen,
except it won't be compatible with a literal SRID=-1, if any is hanging
around.