[postgis-devel] GDAL Python bindings with NumPy array support

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Oct 5 04:30:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:51:10AM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 05/10/11 08:54, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> >How do I get GDAL Python bindings with NumPy array support,
> >required by raster ?
> >
> >I installed python-numpy and python-numpy-ext, but postgis
> >configure still isn't happy. Installation of those happened
> >_after_ configuration and build of GDAL itself, but
> >GDAL python support was enabled.
> >
> >So, do I need to rebuild GDAL or is this NumPy
> >array hot-pluggable ?
>
> AFAIK, you need to build the bindings on Unix:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/GDAL/

Finally fixed.
Not only you need to have python bindings enabled but
you also need to have the python-numpy package file
installed _AT_TIME_OF_GDAL_BUILD_CONFIGURATION_ !

Failing to have the python-numpy at gdal config time
gives you GDAL python bindings but not GDAL python
bindings with NumPy arrays... and GDAL configuration says
nothing about this difference (would be nice to do so).