[postgis-devel] Vote On Documentation License

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Thu Sep 1 10:43:54 PDT 2011

Regina brought up the issue of the documentation license earlier on both
the -devel and -users lists. There was very little discussion on the
issue at hand, other than the users list breaking out into a general
licensing discussion relating more to postgis as a whole than
specifically to the documentation. Given that there were no real
naysayers (certainly none that I know of contributing to the
documentation)....

I call the PSC to vote on designating the license for the PostGIS
documentation to be the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

I believe this license is just slightly more liberal than the GPL in
that it doesn't not restrict people from selling the work or its
derivatives, but it also adds the restriction that any derivatives must
include attribution, which I think we intend to be attributed to "The
PostGIS Project and its Contributors" or something similar. This is also
the license which wikipedia content is under, and is very similar to
both the FreeBSD Documentation License and the GNU Free Documentation
License.

Given the nature of this decision I'd like to see a unanimous +1 from
all PSC members, and also anyone who has contributed significantly to
the documentation and is unhappy with the license should let us know.
Any -1's please put forward your alternative license suggestion and your
reasoning.

Once we agree on this, I suggest that Regina go forward with adding a
copy of the license to the documentation and also adding the appropriate
references to the license into the documentation (both source code and
the final produced HTML/PDF outputs).

I'll start with my +1.

Cheers,
Chris