[postgis-devel] remote code sprint attendance

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Sep 9 12:31:43 PDT 2011

 >  Do you know if there's any provision to participate in the code sprint
"in spirit"? Travel budgets were the first thing to go. I'd be interested in
trying to help get postgis out the door if
>  there's a way to do that without plane tickets, hotels, and per diem.
There is always IRC, but I would prefer Skype personally. IRC is so distant
feeling. Maybe we can have that pad thing we had before.

What was that Paul-- the simultaneous write page thing? That was kinda nice.

 >  I've noted some frustration on the list over libpgcommon. I'm unsure how
I can help with this because I don't have a windows development platform.
However, I'd just like to observe that the 2.0 release is bundling two
postgresql modules which were formerly independent. If you also bundle
infrastructure to factor out the common bits of code now (libpgcommon), the
actual refactoring can take place at your leisure. Conversely, I fear that
if it's not included at the same time as the second module, it won't occur
until postgis 3.0 (~2020).

Like I said Bryce. I don't think we have to wait till 3.0 as long as we can
make the compilation smooth for all platforms and not require hard upgrade.

That is also the reason why I thought we were doing this to refactor the
common bits to be more logical.

All the more reason why we need a more comprehensive build bot.    Part  of
the issue with this is that it threw a whole bunch of people for a loop
that were trying to test PostGIS 2.0  and I feel we lost some momentum as a
result . If it were just windows, I wouldn't care as much.

Thanks,
Regina