[postgis-devel] Tiger to PostGIS Topology looking much better now

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Sep 10 02:56:38 PDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 01:09:09AM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Now for the fun part of loading topo geometries.  Is there an easier way
> aside from specifying the element array stuff.
>
> Ideally would be nice to have a function where you pass in a regular
> geometry and it converts it to a topogeometry.

That one could be topology.ToTopoGeom (name can change):
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1017

> This is mostly for loading denormalized features such as the tiger features
> that you know were formed from a topology.
> It would throw an error if the edges don't line up.

The ToTopoGeom I had in mind would not throw an error but rather
add the missing pieces in that case. That way you would not even
need to add the components but could simply dump in all the final
geoms. We may think about adding a parameter to request an error
rather than a silent addition.