[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Sep 12 13:52:17 PDT 2011

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/11 13:53, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>> Why do you *want* to do this?
>> P.
>
> For the reasons mentioned in the email, but in summary:
>
> 1) Smaller binaries

Don't particularly care about this.

> 2) Ability to offer some aspects of PostGIS API externally for people
> writing their own custom converters/importers

I feel like a better approach for the overall foss4g ecosystem, and
for our own internal work would be to have those aspects of the API in
OGR, which is already a system level utility library.

> 3) Simplification of build system

I don't feel like things are much simpler, and I fully expect we'll
have installation/deployment problems, best intentions
notwithstanding.

I'll put my stake in the ground and volunteer to back the .so stuff
out, if folks are willing.

P.