[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:30:17 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>> 2) Ability to offer some aspects of PostGIS API externally for people
>> writing their own custom converters/importers
>
> I feel like a better approach for the overall foss4g ecosystem, and
> for our own internal work would be to have those aspects of the API in
> OGR, which is already a system level utility library.

My original thought with #2 was not limited to custom
converters/importers: It is my impression that if anyone, anywhere is
to have even the option of writing a postgresql module which interacts
with geometry, raster, or topology data types, they have to have
access to your serialization/deserialization routines (and probably
your accessors and/or methods). Adding this to OGR doesn't seem to be
aligned with OGR's mission.

Failing to provide this is like postgresql failing to provide a way to
detoast an int. :) Or keeping the plus operator "server-private".

So: Is there a non-system-liblwgeom way to detoast a geometry from a
non-postgis module? If so, I'm a happy camper.

Bryce