[postgis-devel] I want boxes

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Sep 27 10:03:50 PDT 2011

Just to point out:

The problem with the centroid is that, for large long features, lt's
overselective. So to get the "full potential set" of things you'll
have to winnow down, you need a large first limit.

The problem with the box is that, for large long features, it's
underselective. So you'll get lots of things that aren't actually very
close still showing up al their boxes interact with the candidate,
causing zero-distance returns. The net result is that you'll still
need a large first limit, to ensure that in addition to all the
zero-distance false positives you also have the non-zero results that
might actually be the closest.

Which is not to say the box-distance might not be better in the end,
just I'm finding in hard to visualize an extreme improvement.