[postgis-devel] Hey, you broke... (SRID=0)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:43:42 PDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 5:27 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:00:00AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:03:14PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>> Well, it regresses...
>>> While I like having SRID=0, I have the worry that this particular
>>> change-for-changes sake will rebound on us poorly. It's done, but I'm
>>> waffling.

This is churn, in the Frank Warmerdam sense of the word, and I've not been convinced of the practical benefit other than for API purity's sake. The *public API* of ST_SRID has always been -1, and there might be quite a number of application-level things that have baked -1 into their logic already. It's also the kind of thing that gets rolled into complicated if-then logic as a magic number that's assumed to never change.  That's their fault, sure, but fixing it isn't as simple as a function name change that can be doctored up with an #ifdef POSTGIS2

I'm not a PostGIS dev, and you can take my opinion as such, I think this change is going to inspire the hate.

Howard