[postgis-devel] Unknown SRID (Was: #1223: Unknown SRID to NULL)

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Sep 30 18:30:10 PDT 2011

Paul,
Me thinks you worry too much.

1) First of all, most of the tools our users are used to using are only
starting to support 3DM because our support for those wasn't anything to
write home about (so if you are going to make precedents now is the time
when we have a lot of 3D goodness to offer) and the other tools that did
either weren't GIS based or followed the ISO/MM more closely.  So the fact
your output looks more standard is a good thing as it opens up possibliites
of tools not currently supporting us having an easier time to.

2) My point about the SRID is if we are going to be SQL/MM compliant in
every other way, why make an exception here?  It's like traveling to the
moon and missing because you were too scared to put your foot on it. Older
versions of a lot of apps don't work for 2.0 for a myriad of reasons, QGIS
etc. have already made some effort for us, they are already in the mindset
of change. OSM got a bit burned because they hard coded the gist type in the
index builde etc.  One extra thing especially SRID is not going to increase
the pitch forks against us as Hobu so politely suggested, but it wil if we
waiver.  The apps are already undergoing surgery.  Better to make all the
necessary incisions before we close up the patient. My only regret is that
we didn't do it earlier in the development phase.

Thanks,
Regina