[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #1694: PostGIS 2.0.0 does not build with clang

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Apr 12 06:42:11 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 07:59:39AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> >  I'd like to look at http://www.nothingisreal.com/gpp/ for a more general
> >  approach to preprocessing.
>
> Is this (from the gpp site) accurate?
>
>   The latest version of GPP is 2.24, released on 2004-09-19.
>
> If so, starting to rely on it seems a bit scary - I would expect code

I guess it is accurate, yes. And yes, it is scary.

> From that vintage to not necessarily build with clang, gcc 4.5, etc.

Note that we're only talking about SQL preprocessing here.
The point is that we're using CPP not the way it was meant to be used.

Chances are we could still use CPP, as long as ./configure finds the actual
standalone processor rather than giving us in CPP a call to the compiler
with -E switch.

I'll investigate the latter solution first.
But GPP was an idea to work around that.

--strk;