[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #2122: [raster] Real extent feature lost after metadata as views

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Dec 3 09:59:54 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:58:47PM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 3 December 2012 16:36, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> >> Then, we no longer discuss blocking in a regular grid.
> >
> > It'd be a regular-constrained grid
>
> I don't understand what you mean.
> Constraint how?

By the max width and max height of each tile.

> >> This is optimisation feature, cache feature, predictable memory constraint, etc.
> >
> > The max size constraint would still give you predictable memory.
> > You should be more specific about the cache and optimisation parts.
>
> I speak of GDAL metchanisms and notion of natural block.

I think that's to reduce the number of I/O calls, and I don't see
how existance of smaller tiles would break that. Note that I'm still
envisioning that each tile in such a "regular tile thing" would have
its upper and leftmost edge anchored to the regular grid.