[postgis-devel] Regular raster blocking (was: Real extent feature lost after metadata as views)

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Dec 6 03:45:40 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 11:26:57AM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 3 December 2012 18:27, Pierre Racine <Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca> wrote:

> > In this case we would just have to modify the "All loaded tiles have the same width and height" regularly blocked rule for
> > " All loaded tiles have the same width and height. Right most and bottom tiles can be smaller"
> > and applications would just have to be able to deal with that fact and the original extent could be preserved (by not padding).
>
> That sounds like an acceptable solution.
> It seems to be similar to what we've discussed with Sandro.

That discussion is still open:

Mateusz :
>Sandro :
>>Mateusz :
>>> Sandro :
>>>
>>> Then, we no longer discuss blocking in a regular grid.
>>
>> It'd be a regular-constrained grid
>
> I don't understand what you mean.
> Constraint how?

These are, I belive, the assumptions a reader might want to
make once block dimensions are defined:

 - Every tile is in exactly _one_ block
 - No block contains more than _one_ tile

Need anything more ?

Why the distinction between internal and rightmost/bottom blocks ?
I can see an importer would have no reason to write smaller tiles
in any other place, but why should we forbid that ?