[postgis-devel] Regression performance.

David Zwarg dzwarg+postgis at azavea.com
Thu Feb 9 16:14:12 PST 2012

I see your point about #1557, but I disagree.

I believe that we should aim for the best performance out of the raster
MapAlgebra routines in any way possible. It may be inconvenient for calling
functions, but if you really need those values, you may always do
"[rast.x]::integer".  It is a little messier, but I believe that it's an
acceptable inconvenience: no data is lost converting the raster x or y
coordinate from float8 to int32, and only if you need it will you incur the
penalty of casting to an integer.

Unfortunately, that is exactly the situation you seem to be experiencing,
strk, but I believe that it would be a mistake to penalize all callers of
ST_MapAlgebraExpr for this overhead, versus the rare (we *just* introduced
the x & y parameters) case when you need the x and y parameters inside of
the cell processing expression.

A note on the surprising factor: it took myself and David Bronough at the
code sprint all day to profile and identify what was happening. Both of us
were looking at the patch from r9112, scratching our heads.  The removal of
strstr should have made it faster, but it turns out the use of integers in
the expressions were doing something in the parser/planner/evaluator for
every pixel, and this was slowing everything down.  It doesn't make sense
on many levels, and I would have thought that integer math would be faster
that floating point math, but in this case it is not the case. Something in
the way postgres evaluates that parameterized query changes that
assumption, which I have no knowledge of (thus the mystery for me).

Thanks,
Zwarg