[postgis-devel] New node splitting algorithm for GiST

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Feb 16 09:37:55 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> On 15/02/12 16:14, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexander,
>> We're getting close to the 2.0 release, but I would accept and apply a
>> patch wrapped in a big #define to allow people to optionally choose
>> the new split routine at build time as an experimental option.
>> Paul
>

> In terms of getting a 2.0 release out, I don't think this is the right time
> to be doing this for such a new feature. I'd much rather have a shorter 2.1
> cycle (say 6 months) and apply the patch just after branch to give it the
> testing time it requires rather than add more complicated #ifdeffery in a
> critical piece of code.

I really don't see the harm in having an EXPERIMENTAL_INDEX block,
particularly since it will be (should be, can be) one big block, not
scattered throughout the codebase. Gives us a chance to get some
testing without waiting through another major release cycle, which as
we've seen... can be long? :)

p.