[postgis-devel] Win32 Adventures

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 04:49:54 PST 2012

On 27/02/12 15:48, Paul Ramsey wrote:

>> Excellent news! BTW I'd like to strongly suggest again that we abandon mingw
>> in favour of mingw-w64 - the developers are much more responsive, they are
>> using newer versions of GCC (hint: bugfixes) and using the same compiler
>> suite for both 32 and 64 bit builds should help eliminate any differences in
>> the regression tests.
>
> gcc --version returns 4.6.1 for the mingw I installed with mingw-get.
> For comparison, by Apple gcc is version 4.2.1! Is it possible old
> skool mingw is alive again?

Oooh that's much better; basically MingW with gcc 3.4.5 has bit-rotted
for years, but now they've finally merged the patches into upstream gcc
so subsequent releases should be more timely.

It was more that the mingw-w64 guys moved up to the gcc 4.6 series
reasonably quickly when it became apparent when the 4.5 series (the
first with the upstream Win32 patches) had some unfixable bugs; the main
mingw guys were a lot slower to follow suit.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk