[postgis-devel] circular dependency in doc/ ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Feb 29 00:17:09 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 04:09:35PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Chris Hodgson <chodgson at refractions.net> writes:

> > So I guess I can support the --nonet as the default, would be nice if
> > there was an easy option to allow building without --nonet for a quick
> > fix - quick as in effort, not elapsed time :)
>
> I have a diff in my working tree to add --nonet.  But I find that I then
> don't have a lot of the xml schemas.

Do you get errors ?

Because this is all I get:

  /usr/bin/xsltproc --nonet --param section.autolabel 1 --param section.label.includes.component.label 1 --param chunk.section.depth 0 --param generate.section.toc.level 1 --param funcsynopsis.style kr --param admon.graphics 1 --param admon.textlabel 0 --param simplesect.in.toc 0 --param use.id.as.filename 1 --param chunk.quietly 1 --stringparam html.stylesheet style.css  \
                  --output html/postgis.html \
                  /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/html/docbook.xsl \
                  postgis-out.xml
  Element strong in namespace '' encountered in para, but no template matches.
  ERROR: xref linking to  has no generated link text.
  ERROR: xref linking to  has no generated link text.
  ERROR: xref linking to  has no generated link text.
  Link element has no content and no Endterm. Nothing to show in the link to
  Link element has no content and no Endterm. Nothing to show in the link to

None seem related to not finding DTDs, am I right ?
I'm on an ubuntu 10.04 and didn't install anything "manually".

It probably starts here:
http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org/xml-policy/xml-catalog-hierarchy.html

> I get the impression the stylesheet maintainers expect people
> to obtain and place a single file manually. I therefore have to conclude
> that most uses of these schemas are via downloading them at build time
> -- otherwise someone would have added support to pkgsrc for them, rather
> than postgis being the first reason.
>
> So perhaps this should be an option to postgis configure, so people can
> try with --nonet but have an easy way to avoid it.

I think either a configure option or an environment variable (or both
but I'd give precedence to the latter so you can change w/out
re-configuring) would be sensible. But meanwhile it'd be interesting to
know which DTDs are not found for you and write down a list of packages
containing the relevant DTDs, and see if you have them or similar to them
and make ./configure smarter in finding them if your packages don't
properly update the "root catalog".

Easier to do if we have a way to control --nonet at runtime,
or you have to manually edit the Makefile to do that.

--strk;