[postgis-devel] Vote on Merging postgis and raster installs andwhen

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Jan 3 08:50:55 PST 2012

Right, if they are separate extensions, this should be straightforward.
If they are one extension, we would be replacing the postgis extension
with the same version of postgis extension, is essentially "more
extended". It seems there would be no way to specify an update script
for this case, so we might be forced to unload the existing postgis
extension, destroying our data if we don't do a dump/restore.

On the other hand, perhaps having them as two separate extensions would
make upgrading rather complicated (or impossible without a dump-restore)
in the case that updating the postgis extension could possibly break the
old postgis-raster extension until the new postgis-raster extension. Or
maybe there are ways to handle this?

Chris