[postgis-devel] Vote on Merging postgis and raster installs andwhen

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Jan 3 10:55:11 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:44:12AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which, I guess we want separate "script" versions
> > in rtpostgis.sql and topology.sql, so you can find out if you
> > have an old "core" with a new "raster" or "topology" or the
> > other way around.
>
> Right, which seems an excellent argument for *not* being modular...
> modularity means adding to our complexity stew with internal
> versioning and dependencies.

We don't really need different versions here, just the version
from main release would do. Pretty much in the same way we already
do for DLL vs. SQL -- the postgis_full_version() function compares
the version in DLL with the version in SQL and tells you if they
mismatch, we would be doing something similar with the versions
in the different SQL files (3 of them).

What's your take on configurability in the "not being modular" case ?
Should it be possible at all to build PostGIS w/out having GDAL and
latest and greatest GEOS ?

--strk;