[postgis-devel] Documentation and comments in tarball

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Jan 9 06:32:08 PST 2012

Following up http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/626
to avoid discussion on trac, I'd like to hear your opinion
about distributing documentation and sql comments in tarballs.

A quick look at http://www.postgis.org/download/ shows:

 1.4.2 shipped with with single-page HTML manual (incl. generated images)

 1.5.3 shipped with with single-page HTML manual (incl. generated images)
 and the postgis_comments.sql file.

 2.0.0svn shipped with chunked HTML manual (incl. generated images) and
 the PDF manual.

Is there a general consensus about what should be shipped and what not
in the tarball ? My personal opinion is that only sources should be in
a source tarball, and documentation is no exception, but if the majority
decides for a different setup please let me know and I'll update the
make_dist.sh script accordingly.

Thank you.