[postgis-devel] Documentation and comments in tarball

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jan 9 10:26:40 PST 2012

  Is there a general consensus about what should be shipped and what not
  in the tarball ? My personal opinion is that only sources should be in
  a source tarball, and documentation is no exception, but if the majority
  decides for a different setup please let me know and I'll update the
  make_dist.sh script accordingly.

As a packager, I would like to see things included if not including them
would greatly expand the required build dependencies, where 'greatly' in
practice is about not dragging in huge xml toolchains that otherwise
would not be needed.  And otherwise, I have a bias against including
generatable files.

It looks like docbook tools are needed (but README.postgis doesn't
mention doc prereqs), and those usually qualify as too-big-for-comfort.
But, postgis+postgresql is also big, so it's not so clear.