[postgis-devel] making docs uses the net, html not build with gmake docs

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jan 16 09:51:32 PST 2012

Chris Hodgson <chodgson at refractions.net> writes:

>>> It happens for me as well. It even fetches stylesheets that I do
>>> have locally.
>>> Would be important to have this fixed. Worth a ticket.
>>
>> Hmmm if they are installed locally it shouldn't need to do that - at
>> least on my Debian Squeeze system, installing the various stylesheet
>> packages made it go away. I will freely confess that I haven't
>> attempted to build the documentation for a while though so things
>> may have changed.
>>
>> Are we deliberately asking for a specific version of a stylesheet
>> that some people aren't likely to have?
>>
> I believe it should be really straightforward on distros packaged in
> the last 5 or 6 years. I had a little trouble with the RHEL 5 based
> system that has the hudson buildbot on it, but in the worst case you
> can download the raw docbook and mathml zip files from the unpackage
> virtually anywhere (usr/share/xml looked good) structure and play with
> the xmlcatalog tool to add the appropriate links into your xml catalog
> files(/etc/xml/catalog on my distro).

It seems that the list of what's required should be documented.  I added
the docbook style sheets package on my system, but that doesn't seem to
be enough.  It seems like a good first step is to call xsltproc with
--no-net, and then deal with the errors.  (It seems broken of xsltproc
that --no-net isn't the default, but that's another issue.)