[postgis-devel] making docs uses the net, html not build with gmake docs

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Jan 17 00:46:47 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:51:32PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Chris Hodgson <chodgson at refractions.net> writes:

> >> Hmmm if they are installed locally it shouldn't need to do that - at
> >> least on my Debian Squeeze system, installing the various stylesheet
> >> packages made it go away. I will freely confess that I haven't
> >> attempted to build the documentation for a while though so things
> >> may have changed.
> >>
> >> Are we deliberately asking for a specific version of a stylesheet
> >> that some people aren't likely to have?
> >>
> > I believe it should be really straightforward on distros packaged in
> > the last 5 or 6 years. I had a little trouble with the RHEL 5 based
> > system that has the hudson buildbot on it, but in the worst case you
> > can download the raw docbook and mathml zip files from the unpackage
> > virtually anywhere (usr/share/xml looked good) structure and play with
> > the xmlcatalog tool to add the appropriate links into your xml catalog
> > files(/etc/xml/catalog on my distro).
>
> It seems that the list of what's required should be documented.  I added
> the docbook style sheets package on my system, but that doesn't seem to
> be enough.  It seems like a good first step is to call xsltproc with
> --no-net, and then deal with the errors.  (It seems broken of xsltproc
> that --no-net isn't the default, but that's another issue.)

+1 on using --no-net in our Makefile (maybe allowing for an environment
variable to override that, for those who really want to use the net for
whatever reason).
Can you file a ticket for that ? Best if with a patch, ofc...

In addition to that, we want both to document and to have some
support for figuring out at the ./configure step.
(Another 2 tickets, I'd think).