[postgis-devel] GDALFPolygonize... none required ?

dustymugs dustymugs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 10:02:47 PDT 2012

On 06/11/2012 09:38 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I see this has been already asked:
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2012-March/020024.html
>
> But I'm not sure I'm convinced by the explanation there.
> The message seems to suggest that it's not even being checked
> if or not GDALAllRegister / GDALFPolygonize is available, but
> we do account for two different variables for it.
>
> What does "none required" mean ?
> Is it because the check result was already cached ?
> Is presence of GDALAllRegister precluding GDALFPolygonize from being checked ?

"None required" means that the configure doesn't need user involvement
to resolve the dependency.  Actually, the "None required" is straight
from autoconf's AC_SEARCH_LIBS()

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Libraries

GDALAllRegister is also checked using AC_SEARCH_LIBS prior to
GDALFPolygonize.

The problem with AC_CHECK_LIB() is that we aren't assured of the various
names of the GDAL library as provided by a distro package.  This is
particularly true in debian.

-bborie