[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #1813: geometry_columns / geography_column table fails to take into account user permissions to table

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon May 14 09:30:44 PDT 2012

#1813: geometry_columns / geography_column  table fails to take into account user
permissions to table
 Reporter:  chander  |       Owner:  pramsey
     Type:  defect   |      Status:  new

Comment(by robe):

 chander,

 I think currently visible and accessible are different things.

 I don't think strk is disagreeing with you that you shouldn't be able to
 see tables you don't have access to, but we don't want to limit what you
 can select by what is in your search path.  That would screw a lot of
 people including me :)

 For example I have a database I have broken out by department:

 assessing, parks, political etc.

 My user in question has access to all tables, but what is in their search
 path is their department.

 To get say parcels from assessing, they would do

 SELECT a,b,c FROM assessing.parcels;

 Since they have access to assessing.parcels, that needs to be listed in
 geometry_columns.  for their own department since they use it a lot, they
 don't care to schema qualify -- that's a hassle.

 I'm not sure what you mean by pgsql2shp and django breaking with same
 named tables.

 I for one know that pgsql2shp does not break with same named tables.  It
 will pick what's in your search path and if its not you need to explicitly
 qualify the schema.

 Like I said information_schema.tables is a perfect example of a meta
 table, but that one doesn't care about current search path, HOWEVER only
 lists tables a user has access to.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1813#comment:5>
PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>