[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #1830: pgsql2shp fix for "XInvalid endian flag value encountered" on PostgreSQL 9.2

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon May 28 03:39:39 PDT 2012

#1830: pgsql2shp fix for "XInvalid endian flag value encountered" on PostgreSQL
9.2
  Reporter:  dfuhry2        |       Owner:  pramsey
      Type:  defect         |      Status:  reopened
 Component:  loader/dumper  |     Version:  2.0.x
Resolution:                 |    Keywords:

Comment(by mcayland):

 Right so from my PostgreSQL 9.0 installation:

 g90 at kentang:~/rel/lib$ ls -l  |grep libpq
 -rw-r--r-- 1 pg90 pg90   779062 Mar 26 12:38 libpq.a
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 pg90 pg90       12 Mar 26 12:38 libpq.so -> libpq.so.5.3
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 pg90 pg90       12 Mar 26 12:38 libpq.so.5 -> libpq.so.5.3
 -rwxr-xr-x 1 pg90 pg90   440772 Mar 26 12:38 libpq.so.5.3

 Given that your version of libpq is 5.2, I suspect that you're actually
 linking against a PostgreSQL 8.4 version of libpq instead which is why you
 see the error. Now the general philosophy of the PostgreSQL project is
 that newer versions of libraries can always talk to older versions of
 libraries, but not the other way around. My concern is that we can find
 ourselves going down a slippery and unsupported route by doing this...

 Note that PostGIS 2.1 will no longer support PostgreSQL < 9.0 so this
 won't be a problem for newer versions moving forward; if you can still
 come up with a minimally invasive patch that uses version detection then I
 would consider applying it just to 2.0 branch.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1830#comment:6>
PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>