[postgis-devel] GiST JoinSel Bogus?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 20 03:35:35 PST 2012

I think the handling of JOINS is highly dependent on geometry types.
For POINT vs POINT joins I think it's very unlikely to find a match,
for example, while for POINT vs. POLYGON the presence of 4 polygon
overlaps and 10 points in an histogram cell means that there will be
10 rows returned for each of those 4 polygons.

Thinking further along these lines I think what matters is the presence
of elements from BOTH datasets in a given cell.
As an extreme, if any histogram cell is EITHER occupied by one table
OR by the other (but never by BOTH) the estimate would be 0, right ?

So we could start by only counting cells where BOTH are found, and
take a product of that, considering that the count for POINT really
counts ONE, while the count for POLYGONS or LINES count slighly less
because the same POLYGON or LINE would intersect multiple cells. I
think we have code that accounts for that "diluition" in the straight
case using the concept of "intersection" between the average input
bounding box and the query cell, which in this case could be the
intersection of the average input bounding box of the two input tables.
See
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/postgis/geometry_estimate.c#L553

I'm very proud of what came out from the work I've done (with help from
Mark) on the estimation code. It took a lot of neurons bakery.
It'll be very satisfactory once join selectivity is also done right.
Please put as much effort in comments as I did in there :)

One thing would be surely worth it: preparing a way to automate testing
for all of this.

--strk;