[postgis-devel] Lower Priv Users and PostGIS

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Nov 28 09:22:38 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:17:43AM -0600, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> weak=# create extension postgis;
> CREATE EXTENSION
> weak=# \q
>
> # psql -U weak weak
> weak=> select * from geometry_columns ;
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation geometry_columns
> weak=> \q
>

> Do we want this to be the default, or do we want low-priv users to be
> able to use PostGIS after install?

I'm sure this issue came out at least another time.
Andrea Peri requested to put some grants into the enabler script.

I don't have a strong opinion on the matter but I'm afraid that stepping
into the database administrator role could open a can of worms.
Maybe she wants to define a group of people with usage privs...

Note that for topology you can't even run the functions if you're
note explicitly granted usage on the "topology" schema.