[postgis-devel] Can we stop using .c prefix for SQL files ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 12 01:47:31 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 09:33:09AM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 12/10/12 08:59, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>
> >Pretty please ?
> >
> >I think I've changed the Makefile to use an SQLPP command which
> >should resolve to proper CPP now (no more GCC -E) which in turn
> >should not care about the file extension.
> >
> >Maybe the easier would be for me to just commit the change and
> >see what happens, unless our bots have a way to be configured
> >for building an experimental git branch, do they ?
> >Or Robe: are you willing to add this feature ?
> >
> >--strk;
>
> The .c extension was to make it clear that the file includes C
> pre-processor directives which caught me out several times - I don't
> believe that any versions of gcc broke because of the extension.
>
> The problem is that the use of the C pre-processor itself is the bug
> (for example this doesn't work on platforms that don't have a
> suitable pre-processor, e.g. MSVC). If you're working on this, then
> I'd recommend throwing it away and finding a better cross-platform
> solution instead (perhaps creating a mini pre-processor written in
> perl?) as it's already a build requirement for our supported
> platforms.

Why don't we drop support for MSVC as a whole instead ?
What purpose does it serve to support proprietary compilers ?
PostGIS is free software, build it with free software.
Doesn't Winnie The Booht builds with the "minimal GNU for windows" ?

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net