[postgis-devel] GSoC PostGIS Raster Ideas, Implement a set of geometry to raster functions

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Wed Apr 17 07:52:31 PDT 2013

Hi Ivan,

Basically we need to be able to interpolate from very few points or from millions of them. Those points have to be stored as PostGIS GEOMETRY and we want to be able to produce only one raster (passing the georeference metadata similar to what we pass to ST_AsRaster) or a tiled raster coverage based on an already one.

Could you speak more about the approach you would use to interpolate millions of points into a tiled raster coverage based on another one, which would be, for me, the most difficult case?

Are you aware and do you understand Martin Isenberg approach for "Generating Raster DEM from Mass Points via TIN Streaming" (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/)?

Bborie also has a strong opinion about (against) interpolation. Maybe we would like to hear about its point of view?

Pierre