[postgis-devel] PostGIS debug messages

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Apr 25 07:45:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:50:38PM +0000, Johann Eggers wrote:

> PostgreSQL 9.1.9 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4), 64-bit
> POSTGIS="1.5.8" GEOS="3.3.4-CAPI-1.7.3" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012" LIBXML="2.7.6" USE_STATS

[..]

> The tons of additional messages are generated by PostGIS when debug is enabled.

[..]

> Nevertheless it's really strange that PostGIS sends debug messages with severity NOTICE where it should better use severity DEBUG1 or similar.
>
> Are there any plans to change that?
> I couldn't find anything mentioned in the PostGIS documentation so it would be of great help to add a note re. this behavior

Notice vs. debug doesn't seem very important as you usually don't build
with debugging enabled unless you're really running in a controlled
environment.

I think it's a notice because at liblwgeom level there's only ERROR or NOTICE,
no way to specify something else. Anyway this is at postgis level, so it should
be easier (altought you'd still get NOTICE from liblwgeom).

See the macro implementation for POSTGIS_DEBUG and POSTGIS_DEBUGF.
Feel free to send a patch once you're happy with it.