[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3D - Points to be discussed

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sun Feb 3 15:09:34 PST 2013

Hallo Olivier and Hugo

First about solids. I am still confused. What tells if a closed
polyhedral surface is a surface or a solid?

Next about planes.

When I wrote the distance code for 3D I was struggling some with how to
handle tha plane of a surface. If there is more than three 3D points
defining a plane it will in most cases not be coplanar caused by
precision errors.

Then no matter how good the algorithm is for calculating the distances,
the answer will not be exact since the stored points defining the
surface is not coplanar.

In the 3D distance calculations in PostGIS today some average plane is
calculated. But if it is a need for exact distance values I guess that
will be a problem.

I can only see two ways around that to really get exact calculations.

1) store some definition of the plane in the geometry
2) define 3 points in the geometry that defines the plane. The rest of
the points is regarded as 2D points.

In the second way of doing it the 2D points will not always be xy points
but xy, xz and yz points depending on the plane.

Thanks

Nicklas