[postgis-devel] [raster] Paths local to server

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Feb 28 21:03:48 PST 2013

I definitely have use for ST_BandPath so we should keep it.

Especially since ST_Tile for example creates out of db (and if you copy from
one table to another) it is very conceivable you could have a mix of in
database and out of database rasters in the SAME table.  This could be by
accident or intentional.

I haven't tried to but based on my understanding of our design, I can think
of steps to do create this hybrid table creature.

That said as Mat proposed, having ST_AsBinary be consistent between in db
and out db becomes very important, because you don't want to have a
third-party tool relying on ST_Asbinary have to worry about this
implementation detail if we say its for abstracting away this.

As I mentioned to Bborie, as long as our serialized (which backup uses)
keeps paths (and not full), that is all we need.  In fact serialized
definitely has to be different between the two.  I suspect some of the
performance gains I am seeing with out of db in 2.1 is because out db (for
operations that don't need to touch the underlying raster), is much faster
than in db since less memcopy going on I presume.

 My 2cents,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us
http://postgis.net