[postgis-devel] Ubuntu packaging for PostGIS 1.5 does not support CREATE EXTENSION

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Jun 2 05:56:01 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Daniel Kastl is setting up a Travis instance for pgRouting and we have
run into an problem as follows:

We have pgrouting setup to install as an extension and it requires
postGIS, in the control file.

The Ubuntu package for PostGIS 1.5 does not support CREATE EXTENSION.

We can install PostGIS 1.5 the old way using the sql files, but then
pgRouting fails because it does not see the PostGIS extension.

I suppose we can remove the psql trap that prevents loading the
pgrouting--2.0.0-dev.sql as a sql file and tells the user to use create
extension.

Are there any better ways of handling this?

Thanks,
   -Steve