[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] VOTE: Drop PostgreSQL 9.0 support at PostGIS 2.2

Magnus Hagander magnus at hagander.net
Mon Jun 10 01:22:23 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> I'm cc'ing postgis users just in case some package maintainers there or
> users that might be affected.
>
> Not sure who the various package maintainers are.  From what I have seen,
> other distros only support one version of PostgreSQL for each version of
> PostGIS
> except for windows which we manage and we're thinking of dropping 9.0
> installers for PostGIS 2.1 for windows before it comes out (except for
> binaries) just because few seem to be using
> 2.0 + 9.0 on windows gathering from the bug submitted by windows users so
> likely we'd be supporting a none existent or tiny user base for 2.1 (on
> 9.0).

I haven't fully kept track of which other packages do support multiple
versions. But at least both yum.postgresql.org and apt.postgresql.org
support multiple *postgresql* versions. Meaning that if they *do*
support only one postgis version, there might be a problem if you drop
support for older versions of pg - since older versions of postgis
don't necessarily work with the newer versions of pg.

I really don't know enough details to comment more clearly though, but
I've heard of complaints elsewhere around this so I wanted to make
sure it's brought up. I don't know if the guys working on those
packagings are actually on either of the two lists, so I'd suggest
throwing a quick email to their respective lists and ask (they're both
on http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/).

> That said this is for 2.2 anyway (and PostGIS 2.1 is still in beta) and
> PostGIS group will still be supporting 2.1 and 2.0 on 9.0 .
> Given 2.2 hasn't even been branched yet, I think this is pretty much a
> non-issue since no package maintainers will be compiling against
> 2.2 yest.  That's why I wanted to get this out of the way so we don't run
> into starting supporting anything and then cut it off midstream while people
> have already started building against it and thinking they can use it with
> their version of PostgreSQL.

Actually, it would probably be a good thing in general if we could get
the packagers to build against the development snapshots as well - to
find bugs quicker, and get them taken care of before it hits release.
I'm not sure how feasible it is, but it would be good in general :)

And yes - it's definitely a good thing to get it done early. If it's
going to be desupported, the earlier people find out, the better!

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/