[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.1.0beta3 build issues on Ubuntu 13.04

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 15:17:25 PDT 2013

On 25 June 2013 02:43, Bborie Park <dustymugs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
> raster2pgsql requires whatever GDAL requires. That is how linking
> works. Since raster2pgsql requires GDAL, libtool pulls in everything
> that GDAL requires.

Again, I'm pretty far from a linking expert, but I can't say I'm convinced
that the dependant libraries also need to be linked, unless functions from
these dependencies are used by raster2pgsql. Mapserver used to use
--dep-libs, but found the linking unnecessary and removed this feature:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/11618

I suspect --dep-libs is not needed with shared libraries of GDAL, e.g. ldd
libgdal.so will show it is already linked with its dependants at runtime,
thus shouldn't need any further linking. However, I'm not sure if
statically linked libraries should be considered differently.

-Mike