[postgis-devel] Building the extension on Solaris/amd64

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat May 18 17:06:58 PDT 2013

> Are you executing "make install" as part of the build? If so that's the
correct behaviour from libtool since after all it's creating a system
library.

Yes -- remind me why we have this installed as a system library when 2.0 and
2.1 versions are incompatible with each other and this file isn't versioned
(at least not on my system) so would seem to screw a lot of people who have
to run both PostGIS versions?

> For the build boxes, I would highly recommend passing the --prefix
I used to do that until this happened to me and I was told by somebody that
I shouldn't be counting on --prefix to do anything useful

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1628

> , --includedir and --libdir options into your configure statement so that
your binaries are placed in a separate, non-system directory suring "make
install" (see my example earlier in this thread), one for each version.
Not clear what you mean here - full example please :)  I do explicit --with
for dependency libs and my system paths I overwrite for each build to just
include the paths I need.

Thanks,
Regina