[postgis-devel] Postgis Raster JPEG 2000 (openjpeg)

Nathaniel Clay clay.nathaniel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:54:50 PDT 2014

Bborie,

There are two JPEG 2000 specifications that apply that are applicable to
our needs and fulfill some of the requirements that I came up with.

1. JPIP or JPEG 2000 Photo Interactive Protocol (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikb9ml7vuftvjgn/T-REC-T.808-200501-I%21%21PDF-E.pdf)
This would give us a well thought out index format that would allow us to
treat our raster blob as a embedded table. With the ability to insert,
update and union the rasters without decompressing the tiles in their
entirety and in most cases decompression would not be necessary at all. (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/59sdg4yo5rpw0a8/10.1.1.136.7762.pdf )
2. OSGEO JPEG 2000 GML (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6i985z6uzabve0/05-047r3_GML_in_JPEG_2000_for_Geographic_Imagery%20%281%29.pdf)
GML would allow us to annotate raster with vectors and provide spatial and
temporal reference of the embedded code streams ( tiles).

PS.  Have you collected your thoughts yet on the current short comings?

Thanks,

Nathaniel Hunter Clay