[postgis-devel] --with-libfoo

Paul Ramsey pramsey at boundlessgeo.com
Fri Aug 1 14:29:27 PDT 2014

Hey devs,
I had to do a build for Solaris recently, and ended up having to patch configure.ac to do it, because of the way we reference external libraries.
Basically, we assume that any external library will be installed in /some/prefix/lib and /some/prefix/include. So we only expect to need /some/prefix in our configuration in order to find the necessary parts.
In solaris 64 bit, the includes are are in /some/prefix/include but the libraries are in /home/prefix/lib/64.
I noted that cmake has this general idea baked into their patterns for extension libraries, the expectation that include and lib paths be declared independently.
In the end, I changed
—with-projdir
—with-proj-includedir
and
—with-proj-libdir

I’d like to do a similar thing to trunk. I could try and keep the old syntax around, or just remove it in favor of the split syntax.

Thoughts?

Paul Ramsey
VP Product Management | Boundless
pramsey at boundlessgeo.com